You have no items in your shopping cart.
Richard III is one of Shakespeare's most popular plays on the stage and has been adapted successfully for film. This new and innovative edition recognizes the play's pre-eminence as a performance work: a perspective that informs every aspect of the editing. Challenging traditional practice, the text is based on the 1597 Quarto which, it is argued, brings us closest to the play as it would have been staged in Shakespeare's theatre. The introduction, which is illustrated, explores the long performance history from Shakespeare's time to the present. Its critical engagement with the play responds to recent historicist and gender-based approaches. The commentary gives detailed explication of matters of language, staging, text, and historical and cultural contexts, providing coverage that is both carefully balanced and alert to nuance of meaning.
Documentation of the extensive textual variants is organized for maximum clarity: the readings of the Folio and the Quarto are presented in separate banks, and more specialist information is given at the back of the book. Appendices also include selected passages from the main source and a special index of actors and other theatrical personnel.
ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
- A new book.
Used – Very Good/Excellent
- No notes or highlighting, and no significant wear.
- May have signs of normal use (e.g. minor cosmetic marks, contact, previous owner’s name).
Used – Highlighting &/Or Notes
- Notes and/or highlighting, but no significant wear.
- Minor: Highlighting and notes are limited to only a few lines or pages, or to a small percentage of the entire book. All text is readable.
- Moderate: Highlighting and notes may be untidy, and/or present on a moderate number of pages. All text is readable.
- May also have signs of normal use (e.g. minor cosmetic marks, contact, previous owner’s name).
Used – Wear
- No notes and/or highlighting, but will show signs of wear.
- Minor: Examples of minor wear include: a repaired cover tear or a couple of repaired pages, a creased or scuffed spine or cover, a small watermark, minor marks on page edges.
- Moderate: Examples of moderate wear include: more noticeable cover wear (e.g. on both back and front), a moderate watermark, large repaired tear, marked and curling page edges.
- All text will be readable and the book will be intact. We do not sell books that are missing pages or are ‘falling to pieces’.
Our shipping charge is a flat rate of $10.00 within Metropolitan Sydney, and otherwise calculated according to weight and distance outside of the Metropolitan Region.
For more information, please see our FAQs page.